Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Movies - Return to a Great Depression

Saw Critic’s Notebook - Reality Can Be Escapist, Too and the following does catch a feeling I ahve been having of watching too much Turner Classic Movies:
"But lately, when I’ve sought escape from the daily flood of cultural novelty (and the daily grind of economic bad news) by slipping an old favorite into the DVD player, I’ve been confronted with a disconcerting jolt of reality. Those silvery images don’t seem to belong to the past, but to the scary here and now. On my recent, more or less annual viewing of “It’s a Wonderful Life,” I was stopped in my tracks by the run on the building-and-loan company of the hero, George Bailey, as the panicked citizens of Bedford Falls try to rescue their nest eggs."
But it was Dead End and Baby Face that got me thinking this is our future. The conservative Republicans wanted to repeal the New Deal and this is what their nirvana looks like.

My Bloglist (Political Mostly)

My News Feeds List

Subscribe to get e-mail updates from Trifles

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Topics I have written about

Add to Technorati Favorites

Followers

Statcounter