Sunday, April 22, 2007

No insurance is big news?

The Indianapolis Star headline reads Not in poverty but not insured.
Indiana has been particularly hard hit by the health insurance crisis.
From 1998 to 2005, the number of uninsured in Indiana grew 23 percent, while the nation's rate dropped 3 percent. Nationwide, nearly 18 percent of Americans younger than 65 -- the age at which they would be eligible for Medicare -- go without insurance. In Indiana, that figure is about 16 percent.

Though there is no data on family incomes of Indiana's uninsured, national surveys show the largest increase has been among families earning $30,000 to $39,999. The number of uninsured in that group rose 31 percent from 2000 to 2005, and the ranks of the uninsured among families earning $40,000 to $49,999 increased 25 percent.

Brown knows he's taking big risks in leaving himself uncovered.

"I've played the odds," he said. "I've been lucky. But eventually, the odds are going to catch up with me. That worry is always there, in the back of my mind."
Taking Down Words has posted on the article, so has Blue Indiana, but Masson's Blog hits the ball out of the park for me. Go read it, right now.

I will not say much on this article thanks to Masson but a few personal comments need venting. Being self-employed most of my adult life, I have had health insurance for only four out of twenty years until I married. No major problems with me but chronic sinus infections and a recurrence of a staph infection, as far as I know. I have not had a physical exam in years because of the cost even with insurance. I do not have the benefit of paid medical leave and any illness puts the business at jeopardy. There are many like me.

I would add one thing to Masson's commentary. I once did a lot of bankruptcy work. The vast majority of my bankruptcy cases involved medical problems. Until October 15, 2007, our national solution to universal healthcare could be found in the bankruptcy courts. We still have Chapter 7 bankruptcies albeit Congress has now made it harder and more expensive to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. I think that when the garnishments for medical bills start hitting home, the anger mentioned by Masson will grow exponentially until the mess becomes a major financial crisis.

My Bloglist (Political Mostly)

My News Feeds List

Subscribe to get e-mail updates from Trifles

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Topics I have written about

Add to Technorati Favorites

Followers

Statcounter